- You Are In:
- Don't block it, bag it, bin it
Don't block it, bag it, bin it
Blocked drains are a problem. We work hard to keep them flowing.
Most blocks are caused by wipes, cooking fat and oils. These items prevent waste from flowing properly, causing major problems in the drainage network. This can result in sewer flooding, environmental pollution and even the back up of sewage into your property.
Along with an annual maintenance program to clean approximately 35km sewer per year across the Island, Guernsey Water frequently has to clear out sewers or unblock pumps around the island when they become blocked or restricted by a build-up of unsuitable products being flushed down the loo or washed down the drain.
We need your help!
In the bathroom:
- Disposable menstrual products
- Cotton wool
- Cotton buds
- Hand towels
- The three Ps only
- (Toilet) Paper
In the kitchen:
- Oil in small quantities: Wipe out pans with kitchen roll and place in your kitchen caddy / food waste bin. Please keep kitchen roll to a minimum.
- Roasting juices: Pour these into a cup or pot, once solidified and cool, remove them from the pot or cup and place in your kitchen caddy / food waste bin.
- Other solid fats, like butter: Can be placed (once cool) into your kitchen caddy / food waste bin.
- Vegetable oil in larger quantities: Can be taken to Longue Hougue Household Waste and Recycling Centre, where it will be sent to the UK and recycled into biofuel.
- Commercial quantities of vegetable oil: Please contact Waste Oil Recycling on (01481) 241133 to arrange collection for a small charge.